Monday, September 14, 2015

Chapter 8: Exemplification

Personal Reaction:
I found it interesting that many essay’s I have already written would be considered exemplification essay’s. It’s really common to need to use examples to write an effective essay. The structure of an exemplification essay is the same as most essay’s (intro, body paragraphs, and conclusion), which is very easy to remember. The writing examples were all pretty interesting, I especially enjoyed reading “No, I Do Not Want to Pet Your Dog” by Farad Manjoo. I thought it was a funny read. I found the page on reading images more confusing than anything. It was very random, and seemed out of place. 

Professional Reaction:

This chapter gives a nice summary of exemplification and how to write an exemplification essay. The chapter provided important information and examples. I found the checklist to be especially informative. The chapter gives multiple essay examples, and each writing piece is unique. I enjoyed the writing sample titled “Ten Ways We Get the Odds Wrong” , by Maja Szalavitz, it was a good example of how an exemplification essay can be written in list form. The chapter emphasizes the importance in using examples to explain and clarify, add interest, or persuade.  How to read images is also briefly discussed in the chapter, however I found this segment distracting. 
Image from sodahead.com

No comments:

Post a Comment